Monday, November 06, 2006

Shackleton quote

Got to the bottom of the Scott/Amundsen/Wilson/Shackleton quote, courtesy of Antarctic Circle website.

There are two versions, one of which I came across in Cherry-Garrard's biography recently:

"... For a joint scientific and geographical piece of organization, give me Scott; for a Winter Journey, Wilson; for a dash to the Pole and nothing else, Amundsen: and if I am in the devil of a hole and want to get out of it, give me Shackleton every time ... " [Apsley Cherry-Garrard. Vol I, Page viii, Preface, Worst Journey in the World, first edition.]

"Scott for scientific method, Amundsen for speed and efficiency but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton." [Attributed to Raymond Priestly but appears in essence elsewhere including in Cherry-Garrard's Worst Journey in the World]

Both of which neatly sum up my general impression of Antarctic exploration in the early 20th century century.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:55 am GMT, Blogger Diane said...

Oh good, you've switched comments back on. Those labels ... what do they do? Assist searches?

 
At 12:22 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

They seem to be a sort of index. If you click on, eg. York, it will bring up all my posts (those with labels; they only start from when I went to betablogger) on York, etc.

btw, it looks like I can't comment on blogs that aren't on betablogger - I didn't realise. There's a note on betablogger saying that it should be sorted out soon. But if I seem to be rather silent on your comments, it's because of that.

 
At 9:50 pm GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = web site traffic@simply pet supplies.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home