Friday, July 22, 2005

In the mood

Diane mentioned that she's reading within her genre again whilst beginning to rework her book. I think this is a great idea, and am currently scanning my bookshelf to choose something that will draw me in. It's possible I'll re-read Henry Treece's 'The eagles have flown' Set in the 5th century, a few years back I managed to get hold of a copy. I'd read it as a child, and re-reading it, I realised how influential it was in my view of the era! Artorius isn't really a hero and is rather dangerous (ahem!). Strangely, I've never managed to finish Treece's adult novel 'The Great Captains' set in at the same time, or just a little later.

In addition, I've noticed I haven't felt the urge to play some of my favourite music (mostly classical or film scores) so I think I might put them on again, just so it's in the background when I'm working on my essay. I normally write my fiction with music on, so the inspiration might seep through sub-consciously. It has to be the right music, either something that hums harmoniously in the background, or something that contributes to the mood of the scene or chapter I'm writing.

Note that I did not say I had Writer's Block! I don't believe in it; most of the people who tell me they've got writer's block actually have something which they could fix if they wanted to - whether it was lack of confidence, lack of time, can't find ideas, etc. The main thing is to be brutally honest with yourself, and work out why you're not writing. Hmm. That sounds rather tough, but actually I tend to be supportive to other people and try to encourage them (honest!). It's me I'm tough with, though even then, I'm not beating myself up over it. Just acknowledging there's a problem and seeing what I could do about it.

4 Comments:

At 5:13 pm BST, Blogger Diane said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:15 pm BST, Blogger Diane said...

I don't believe in writer's block either. I believe that things get in the way of our creativity, such as life and death, etc. My problem is more often procrastination, swiftly followed by lack of confidence and then lack of time.

Good luck with rediscovering your muse.

 
At 7:20 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Not sure if I believe in muses either ... :-) Sometimes my imagination goes on (a long) holiday, that's for sure.

 
At 2:18 am BST, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

I agree with you about the writer's block, Alex. As for music while writing, I usually use it while plotting, helps to imagine the scenes (you know, like in the movie).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home