Friday, November 10, 2006

Disappearing

I shan't be blogging for a couple of days as I get my head down to sorting out some teaching. Got to get my slides together, re-jig my lecture, and then clean the house as one of the speakers is staying with us. And then I've got to teach all day, not my forte by any means. I just want it all over with, and then I can settle down to write my own academic stuff and muck about making leather shoes.

I find teaching all to panicky. I'm unsettled about it for months in advance. Soon I'll be asked by the univ if I want to teach anything for the year 2007-8, but I think I may pass on that again. I really don't get much out of it, and feel that I let the students down in some way. It didn't help last time in that I had this woman in my class who had a constant look of disapproval on her face. I'm pretty sure she was the one who moaned on her evaulation form about me sometimes referring to my notes (which I had to do especially when it was dense information regarding historical detail; I have not head for remembering that sort of stuff). All in all, teaching is not enjoyable. I haven't the right sort of temperament for it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:54 pm GMT, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

Hope the lecture goes well. I know how it feels having that horrible sense of dread looming over you like a fog that seems to seep into eveything you do and think until the blessed relief when you realize it's all over.

 
At 10:54 am GMT, Blogger Martyn said...

Hope it all goes well. Not done anything like that for ages but like you I tend to blow the whole thing up in my head until it becomes all consuming. I know it limits me and I've got to tackle it. I've been operating in a bit of a comfort zone over the past couple of years so I am trying to step outside of that a bit now.

 
At 1:18 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Thanks guys :-) I'm really looking forward to when it's finished. Then I will shamelessly inhabit my Comfort Zone for a good few months. I shall dance attendance on the Small Museum, as well as doing my archaeological article. Oh, and I'll have a small amount of post-lecturing stuff to clear up, but it's not as arduous as teaching. And that's all I've got planned. And breathe ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home