Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A quick shufty

I've had a read of the prologue and the first chapter of Usipi. I agree with Gabriele - it is overwritten. It's slow to start, and hasn't really picked up by the end of the chapter. I think the author has dutifully set his scene, but there's too much information being imparted at such an early stage. None of the characters appeal to me either, so I'm not drawn into the story. Obviously, I can see where it's leading, and suspect it should have started later, perhaps with the actual mutiny. I'm afraid it was like another one of the those short stories where as soon as I start reading, I can tell it's not going to set the world on fire for me. Shame :-(

2 Comments:

At 12:20 pm GMT, Blogger Carla said...

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but you can't both be wrong!
I may give it a try when the whole book is available, in case it picks up later. Many books do, I find.

 
At 1:54 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I doubt it will; the style is very wordy and the narrative isn't focused enough to hold my attention. I have found some books improve despite slow starts, but usually the writing style has some sort of promise (eg. a light touch), and they've just got a bit bogged down with setting everything up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home