Wednesday, May 03, 2006

That Yorkshire doo-da

Still not been on it. It's still a source of great fascination. Trouble is, the way we get into town is over the railway footbridge bridge and down a cinder lane. And the Yorkshire Wheel dominates the sky line for most of the time. In fact, I only have to go out my front door, down the steps onto the street, and I can see a quarter slice of it. I reckon I should sue the Railway Museum and/or Norwich Union for obscuring my view of, er, the sky ;-)

I'm trying to work out a good time to go on this wheel. Probably first thing in the morning (well it's only a 5 minute stagger for us from here, so that's no problem), but not, for example during any type of school holiday. I don't want to be trapped in one of the gondolas with a hoard of screaming kids - only I'm allowed to scream when confined 'miles' in the air, thank you. I'm sure we'll suss it out before it goes. I suspect apart from getting a good view of the Minster (well we get that anyway, if we run up to the top of the road, so neeeerrrrr), we'll also get a lovely view of our street. Just got to pick the moment, is all.

Actually, we've already got a lovely pic of our street, as it was included in a stunning aerial shot of the ABB Carriage Works. Well, it was called ABB when we first moved here. Then it changed its name to the very sinister sounding Thrall Europa. Thrall being another word for slave ... It was owned by a US company. And now the major part of it has closed down. I can remember when the road was jammed with cyclists come 4pm as the shift workers came out. Not like that now. But here's a view of the area in 1956 from Imagine York.

4 Comments:

At 9:08 am BST, Blogger Martyn said...

We're planning on going on the doo-dah next week as well. I'm trying to persuade my mum to go on, but she seems to think it's something similar to what you'd find at Alton Towers.

Thanks for the picture link. I've got sneaky feeling we're just around the road from each other.

 
At 12:16 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Are you anywhere near the Fox perhaps? Should I wave out the window if I see a likely lad and his mum puffing their way up the hill to the footbridge to go on the doo-da? If you are close by, you'll probably know which road I'm on now ;-)

 
At 12:49 pm BST, Blogger Martyn said...

I am indeed & I reckon I know where you are now. All the best people are in H*l*a*e ;-)

 
At 11:08 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Yes, indeed they are :-)

When we wanted to move to a slightly bigger house, we went the whole hog and moved all the way ... round the corner. So we've lived in this area since we moved to York, and don't see any reason to move away from it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home