Thursday, July 27, 2006

A good day

This morning I went to meet the archaeology curator to arrange a date for teaching another workshop. He showed me the new lab that has been fitted out, and which will be a great venue for the the event. In addition, he mentioned that he is seriously reviewing the (out of control) archaeology collections. It seems I am well placed to help out with this. Crikey.

Now this is exactly the sort of thing that generally hasn't happened in my patron-forsaken archaeology career. Call it patronage or luck, or whatever, but my time in archaeology has lacked this aspect big-time. So I'm reeling with delight. The funny thing is, at no time have I had any optimism or expectations of this particular contact. He's a good chap, always upbeat and I feel comfortable talking with him, but I never banked on anything coming of it. In fact, I still feel cautious. He might decide to use someone else perhaps. Until a written agreement is made, I shan't quite believe it. It's just that for once, things are actually looking quite hopeful. [Does a double take, laughs maniacally, and goes to lie down in darkened room]

5 Comments:

At 7:16 pm BST, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

Why would the curator look for anyone else if he can have you?

If I were superstitious, I'd say this was the reason those other jobs didn't materialize. But I'm not, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...Seriously, I'll be so delighted if you get this job that I'll do the happy dance - not a sight you'd want to see, I do assure you!

 
At 9:09 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying I didn't push myself forward enough? If so, you're probably right. Or that I pushed too hard? Very unlikely, but I what I did do was say what I was prepared to do, which by implication indicated what I wouldn't do (aka throw stuff away without recording properly). I'm happy to compromise on lots of things, but throwing away an archaeological resource without in-depth records is not compromise, it's bordering on the criminal.

Needless to say it's not a job per se. It'll probably be freelance, but that's fine by me. Anyway, it's got to happen properly yet ... Hang fire on your happy dance for the time being; I'd love to see it ;-)

 
At 10:37 am BST, Blogger Carla said...

This sounds very hopeful news, Alex. Best of luck! I hope it works out.

 
At 12:19 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Thank you, Carla :-)

 
At 2:45 pm BST, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

I meant that you seem to be the ideal person for the job. Even more so now you've reported what you said to the curator!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home