Friday, October 07, 2005

Editing

Today's been full of editing. In fact, a lot of the week has been like that! I edit an online newsletter, and also compile my re-encactment group's quarterly newsletter - but not for long. I wonder if I have taken on these tasks to displace doing other things? Anyway, I'll be stepping down from the group's newsletter shortly. The online newsletter is to do with writing, so I'll keep that up. But, I shan't be reviewing, unless it's something really juicy - as in something I would strongly think of buying anyway. I've done my bit of reviewing anything that vaguely sounds interesting (and many were really good), but it's just another displacement activity in the long run.

I seem to have become pressure-averse and am having to push myself into doing stuff. I know why it's happened (the long-term illness), but getting back into the habit of taking the risk of actually doing something is rather tough. Failure, whether it be physical or in my head, is uppermost in my thoughts. I'm not yet clear of the foot problems, but there is no reason why I couldn't be doing the mag op. There are currently loads of Christmas jobs being advertised in the local shops. I daren't apply in case the foot goes bad again, and I'm dragging myself miserably around the place, knowing I'm making it worse.

And yet, I know I've got some teaching coming up (one day in November, and a six week evening class in Jan-Feb), and it's going to be difficult to organise and motivate myself. "Inertia roight ahead" to paraphrase Titanic

3 Comments:

At 9:43 pm BST, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

Alex, I'm so sorry about your long-term illness! I hope your foot will feel better soon! As for the activities, do what you like and enjoy, and if reviewing is becoming a burden, then well... I hope your life will get better and inertia will go away!

 
At 7:37 pm BST, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

I think your top priority now is to write a proposal for your archaeological mag. op. and send it off to a suitable publisher or publishers. From what you've said on your blog, it seems to me that getting this published would achieve two vital goals: it will make you feel that your archaeological career has been worthwhile, and will leave you free to concentrate on LOTR. It's all so obvious that you've probably thought of it already. So what's stopping you? Nothing. Oh, and being pressure-averse is just another form of displacement activity or avoidance tactic. I should know :)

 
At 8:12 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Thank you, as ever, Olga

Sarah: Well that told me ;-) I'm starting to get out of the doldrums now (honest)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home