Friday, January 20, 2006

Writing novels is easy!

I often think that my first novel (the mighty SoD) could be 'sold' as a fantasy novel without too much tweaking. So, I tend to keep a sneaky eye on what the sf guys are up to. To that end, a great link for writing fantasy novels recently cropped up on the rec.arts.sf.composition list:

How to write a best selling fantasy novel

Rather than anything else, it seems to be covering Lord of the Rings rather well! It's a good guide on what not to do, as it's now been done to death :-)

3 Comments:

At 11:42 am GMT, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

LOL. I love this kind of affectionate (at least I think it's affectionate) sending-up. It reminds me of the amusing "Rules for Historical Fiction Genres" series that we did in Solander a few years ago.

Inevitably, I can think of a certain tetralogy of novels, not sold as fantasy, to which some of this applies, e.g. points 2, 4, 6, 7 & 9, plus at least 2 of the character types, and the absence of a working economy - although I recall one of the main characters doing something vaguely agricultural until called away to a more interesting task.

 
At 10:02 am GMT, Blogger Carla said...

Oh, what were the Solander Rules, Sarah? Have you got a back issue you could post on your blog?

If the tetralogy is the one I think it is, then what struck me about 100 pages into the first book was that it read exactly like a sub-Tolkien Epic Fantasy.

 
At 4:18 am GMT, Blogger secretstash said...

I'm very sorry to post this in your comments section but I like your blog and think you may have a good chance of getting listed at our blog directory, "High Class Blogs."

Contact me at ethan@highclassblogs.com if you are interested.

Ethan Potter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home