Thursday, March 09, 2006

Three secrets. Two women. One grail

The blurb above the titles for Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I've heard this book was what the Da Vinci Code could have been. Still not interested in the Da Vinci Code, I got Labyrinth as it was going cheap at Tescos and sounded intriguing, especially as it opens with a woman digging on an archaeological site. What a sucker :-)

Anyway, I'm hardly out of the Prologue. A couple of niggles so far regarding the archaeological side of things. A buckle being used on an early medieval cloak - not sure about that. An arrowhead as closely dateable as the late 12th-13th century? The use of tweezers: either plastic or metal tweezers are not a good idea out in the field as they can easily damage materials, especially as the digger is often uncertain what they're handling at that point. But this is a dig in France, so perhaps they do have cloak buckles, amazingly well dated arrowhead and use tweezers there. What do I know? I'm still reading :-)

7 Comments:

At 10:09 am GMT, Blogger Siddharth Razdan said...

Oh! Good!

 
At 12:30 pm GMT, Blogger Diane said...

Being a Roman Catholic I had to push my own thoughts and beliefs to one side to read the Da Vinci Code. If you can do that, it really is a very good read.

 
At 3:19 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

The tweezers aren't a major mistake, but they do suggest that the author doesn't know too much about current archaeological practice. Then again, perhaps Alice had them on hand to pluck her eyebrows?

There's too much hype around the Da Vinci Code for me to bother with it at present. Might watch the film, as I could invest less time!

 
At 8:02 pm GMT, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Hehe, I bet the movie will further Hollywoodize the book, if that's even possible.

 
At 8:02 pm GMT, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:59 pm GMT, Blogger Kathryn Warner said...

The book is sitting on my shelf and has reached about 7th place on my To Read List :) Would people recommend it (apart from the mistake about the tweezers!)? Is it worth the bother? I love medieval history, but this is neither my time nor my period, so I'm not likely to spot many inaccuracies.

(BTW, I found your blog via Gabriele's)

 
At 6:00 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Hello Alianore! A couple of days on, and I'm still reading Labyrinth. The trouble is, finding a mistake, I start really looking for others. However, it does seem to be a page-turner. I'm still in the medieval bit, so am wondering how it all fits in :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home