Thursday, May 04, 2006

Bombus lapidarius

Otherwise known as the red-tailed bumblebee. One of them was in the house. Well, I had the temerity to open a window, and that's how it must have got in. It seemed to me to be the biggest bumblebee in the world and I hastened to get a box to catch it in. When I got back, the bee had gone. Where it went, is a mystery, but it reappeared the next morning, and the dp caught it and chucked it out before I got up. I'm pretty sure it was a red-tailed bumblebee, as it had a reddish-yellow bum!

So it contributes to my Springwatch observations. Already seen a 7-spot ladybird. Now need to see some frog spawn, but may be it's too late now. Certainly seen a frog ...

4 Comments:

At 4:48 pm BST, Blogger Diane said...

So what's what looks like a wasp the size of a small wren? And how come they can never find their way out again, even when the way they came in is the size of a DOOR?

 
At 6:03 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I don't mind the bees, but we're now getting dozy wasps, I think. Yuck

 
At 10:23 am BST, Blogger Martyn said...

We got two wasps yesterday as well.

 
At 10:41 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I thought it might be too early for wasps and I was mistaking worker bees, but no ... We had a wasps nest in the eaves one year and had to get the pest man out to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home