Thursday, June 29, 2006

Competition time

I think I may have a go at entering the Writing Historical Fiction competition that I mentioned a while back. The closing date's July 17th, and I think I've got some free time to slot it into, so what the heck. It's got to be 250 words. I've got around 100 already, so need to expand a bit. Obviously, I'll be going for the 5th-6th centuries. The main thing about the era is that it's called so many things, and I think I'll be harking on that aspect to some extent.

First day (well, afternoon) at the museum today. A gentle introduction. Definitely haven't got to grips with the till. Next week will tell, when I shall be left on my own for a couple of hours. There'll be a duty manager and another volunteer prowling the museum, so any problems and I can call for them. And I shall be calling on them, I'm pretty sure, as the till is not idiot-proof :-)

But back to competitions. Batman is applying for another job at his workplace. It's two grades above his present post, but he's the most likely internal candidate. However, it has also been advertised externally too, though rumour has it that no one with the required amounts of skills and experience has actually applied so far. Really experienced managers would think twice about moving from their present post if stable, as this one is only for five years. I'm helping with his application letter, though since he's internal, I think he'll get an interview anyway. But it's useful for him to explore how qualified (or not) he is for the post. In the end, as with all posts, it will come down to whether they really want to employ him. Nothing lost if he doesn't get; he'll still have a job. Unlike me of course. Just as well he can keep himself employed otherwise things would be desperate.

7 Comments:

At 11:22 am BST, Blogger Carla said...

Good luck to Batman, and with the competition. What's the museum you're working in, out of interest? I know York has a lot of museums :-)

 
At 10:33 pm BST, Blogger Diane said...

You should be able to manage 250 words in the time. Good luck!

 
At 10:45 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Ah, but 250 words that make any particular sense though, Diane? Hmmmm ... I'll do my best :-)

 
At 11:12 am BST, Blogger Diane said...

Where did Martyn go?

 
At 2:26 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

He's zapped his blog, but has left an explanation. Nice photo btw! A little more up to date than the last one ;-) (pot-kettle-black)

 
At 2:36 pm BST, Blogger Annette said...

This is the first time I have read this.Could you please explain who Batman is?
Thanks

 
At 4:00 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Batman is my dear partner, now called Batman since he spied a bat in the garden a few weeks back. No, he doesn't wear tights, a mask, and a cape - not normally anyway ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home