Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Off-colour

Yesterday, and a bit today, I've been feeling rather off-colour. The only thing I can trace it to is that I ate a piece of cake! I should have known better, as it was a quite a dense coffee and walnut sponge. Since the pulmonary embolism and attendant hard line medication, I've had trouble with my digestion. Cutting out wheat (in particular bread and any pastry), improved the situation immensely. However, I have got away with having the odd slice of light Victoria sponge. So thought I'd get away with this coffee and walnut indulgence ...

Er, no, by mid afternoon I felt nauseous and bloated, and by the evening I was feeling very anxious for no obvious reason, and extremely tired. This morning wasn't too clever either. I don't think I've got full-on coeliacs (I get on tolerably with oat cakes, for example) but I certainly won't be having any pieces of cake, Victoria sponge or nay, for a while. Thank goodness I'm not allergic to chocolate :-)

7 Comments:

At 4:26 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Walnuts are evil.

 
At 7:29 pm BST, Blogger Martyn said...

Sorry to hear you're not so good at present. I don't know much about the subject but what Susan's written reads like sound advice to me.

 
At 9:17 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Thank you everyone :-)

Susan, what you said sounds spot on. Being asthmatic, I'm in the general allergy range anyway. Fortunately, I had taken Zirtek (for my hayfever) that morning. It was the sudden anxiety that really worried me. I do get fritzy during certain times of the month (ahem), but this was really out of the blue. Thank you for explaining it.

I am very allergic to ranitidine, so can't take Zantac. I was prescribed it and had a pretty bad time (sweating, pulse racing, etc; was taken straight into the doctor for blood tests). Previously to that I had Lansaprazole and that also made me ill - something went on with my liver. So anything to do with acid relief/digestion I avoid. I had noticed that anti-histamines seemed to improve the situation slightly, though. But since avoiding the wheat, the stomach pains and other symptom have more or less abated. Salutary lesson though. Shan't be having cake like that again, and may also avoid nuts as well just in case ...

It must be difficult avoiding wasps, and a very real worry during the summer.

 
At 9:35 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Vasps are no fun even if you aren't allergic. And vasp nests on your balcony plainly SUCK. :)

Get better soon. I stay away from walnuts and other nuts (including those in human form), they make me feel sick.

 
At 8:24 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

We had a wasps nest in the roof one year - wasps all over the place, crawling inside the house, buzzing around just outside. Had to get a pest man out for it. Horrible.

 
At 9:00 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Susan, I wanted to ask you if you had an epi-pen - I'd heard they were really useful, so I'm glad to hear you have some.

Since taking the blood clot & pain killing medication, I have become 'hair-trigger' to allergies. All sorts of stuff seems to set me off now, with re-actions varying from blotchy skin, puffy eyes to the stomach problems. Don't know if I can stand going to the doctor; have avoided him since the ranitidine incident, when I'd been in his surgery constantly for the previous two years. I've been so much better since I kept away, to be honest (I think he over-prescribed and I wasn't as sceptical as I should've been). But it looks like I might have to take my courage in both hands and go ...

 
At 4:23 am GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = web site traffic@simply pet supplies.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home