Saturday, July 01, 2006

Balloon

We awoke to the sounds of a hot air balloon trying to climb high after taking off from the Knavesmire (aka York's racecourse). We're often woken by balloons on a Saturday morning; it's one of the joys of living here. I would miss it greatly should we move. Anyhow, these days it's a red KitKat balloon. It used to have a Jorvik livery, but that was some time ago now. But our fascination with the hot air balloon always reminds me of Ted Hughes' Poem The Full Moon and Little Frieda:

'Moon!' you cry suddenly, 'Moon! Moon!'

I heard a recording of Hughes reading this, and he conjured her childish amazement so well. I cried out out 'Balloon! Balloon!' as I tumbled out of bed and staggered to the window, trying to see where it was.

The poem is very apt anyway as the moon's a balloon. Gone all poetic today, well, about as poetic as I ever get :-)

5 Comments:

At 4:56 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, I live only some 150 metres from the balloon starting place at the Eiswiese. We get them passing by roof-high quite often. I know the sound well.

 
At 6:02 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Yes, it's a lovely sort of roaring. But it's so close, if I'm asleep, I tend to get woken up. Perhaps because I know it's a balloon and I want to watch! We're on a hill, plus being close to the launch site, so they're trying to climb over it.

 
At 1:41 pm BST, Blogger Martyn said...

It's a lovely sound to here. We sometimes wave to the people in the basket from our backyard and once or twice they've waved back !

 
At 6:40 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I think we managed to get a wave back once - sometimes we hear the sound, but can't see them till it's too late.

 
At 2:40 am GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = web site traffic@simply pet supplies.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home