Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Forza Italia!

This blog has been largely free of the Football World Cup, but now England is out, who can I support? It's a no-brainer really, it's got to be Italy since I'm all of 1/16th Italian (ahem). What is galling is that it's now down to four European teams. There's not even Brazil to liven up proceedings :-( Hey-ho.

All
Italy's got to do to get to the final is beat Germany. Oh dear. I've just heard someone saying that it's not Forza Italia! (Italy Forward), but Fortress Italia! as they're very good at defending. Batman says that Italy does something called cateenaccio: if they score a leading goal they'll settle back and defend like crazy, rather than going for more. Now I know where I get my conservative outlook from. If it comes to a penalty shot-out, Italy will be stuffed as Germany has penalties down to a fine art. Batman reckons that Squadra Azzurra are the better team, it's just that they settle for defending. But I guess it would be good if the host team got to the final (she said reluctantly)

2 Comments:

At 4:38 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Deutschland vor, noch ein Tor!

So there. :)


BTW Ital. forza means: power, strength

 
At 6:36 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

It's sometimes translated into English as Italy Forward - not literal admittedly, but very apt for the footie. Another translation could be: Go Italy, which is rather American in feel, so as a Brit I wouldn't use it.

On Babelfish your German phrase is translated as:

Germany forwards, still another gate

which I presume is pretty literal, but doesn't give a flavour of the phrase. I'm try to work out the English equivalent ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home