Saturday, November 25, 2006

Christmas Shopping is officially upon us

Well, in York it may have started last weekend. Last Saturday was very busy in town, and even the Small Museum had a rise in visitors. And I also observed a rise in what one volunteer calls The Lookie-Lus - namely people who come into the museum shop just looking for presents. They are not interested in coming into the museum per se. So they look, occasionally purchase a trinket, then go. Apparently, the major shops last Saturday all reported a sudden up-turn in customers which had the shop workers running ragged, and certainly Stonegate was packed when I went down it. It was even worse today.

Last Thursday was the official start of York's Christmas season, with a city centreYuletide Fayre, which goes on till tomorrow. Consequently, I'm putting extra hours in at the Museum to help out, as it too is part of the Fayre, and there's a drinks bar that needs staffing. And there will be a weekend bar there until well into December, so I suspect that's where I will be frequently found.

And next Thursday, late night opening will commence. Arragh! At least I can avoid it :-)

Pannier update: It was indeed Batman's pannier, and the College intends to return it to York for him some time next week. Very kind of them, and they will be getting a thank you card, and some nice chocs in appreciation

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:07 pm GMT, Blogger wil said...

I love museum gift shops! Depending on the museum, sometimes the gift shop is the best exhibit.

 
At 8:33 pm GMT, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

I need to find a time when York is less crammed. I don't like crowds, and it's a pest to take decent pics with armies of tourist wheeling around.

In Trier I managed to get some good shots by getting up early. The masses started coming out of their hiding places after 11 am.

 
At 10:16 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Wil - I know what you mean ;-)

York is only quiet somewhere around January (I think it's the week after the Sales). Apart from that, you have to get up very early in the morning to find a clear shot of virtually any view. When some York streets are very crowded, I get rather queasy. Coney Street, where you can see the bobbing heads as you walk down into it makes me what to run away; I avoid it as much as possible. But as a York resident, I know tourists are the city's life blood, so I can't complain :-)

 
At 4:37 pm GMT, Blogger Martyn said...

Coney Street a week before Christmas is absolutely hellish. All those heads :-0

I quite like the busyness in the summer when there are people here from all over the place. As long as I've nothing to do and can just wander about soaking up the atmosphere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home