Thursday, May 19, 2005

I'm a pantser, honest

Just learnt a new word from Lady Tess. A pantser does not outline or plot their story, so it's 'seat of the pants' writing. I'm more or less one of these because I don't sit down and write any plan before I start writing. Structured outline? Wassat? However, there are ideas in my head before I start writing. And certainly LOTR, my 5th century story, has a lot of planning going on (the 6th century one was much more chaotic) but it's all in my head. To plot it out carefully beforehand would kill it for me. But there will be substantial cleaning up going on after the first draft of LOTR is complete; I can see there's already stuff I need to tweak. As usual, I'm taking the long way round doing things, but it's the only way to get myself to write in the first place.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 pm BST, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

I used to be a pantser, but now I outline more, and try to get to know my characters before I start writing. Not thorough and long character charts, but major points about appearance, occupation, and often GMC's.

 
At 9:48 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Olga, perhaps it's a case of hard experience that makes one outline. I'm only on my 2nd novel, but do detect more planning than with the 1st. Outlines aren't quite appearing yet though. But I did write a synopsis first (for that competition I entered)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home