Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Joy of Socks

Made a bit of progress on the naalbinding socks. Unfortunately, I can see where I went wrong, failed to pick up a stitch etc., but some parts look quite good, though not nearly as nice as the expert naalbinders in the group. Think I should be using thicker wool, but this is my first sock, so will be putting it all down to experience.

Starting to feel a bit brighter now, and putting fingers to keys regarding the short story is getting a bit closer. Yesterday some more marble for my mosaicing activities was delivered from Xinamarie in Italy. Got lots of white, plus some green and a gold; I must check out provenances for this stuff, in case I get asked! They also sent a small pack of lovely coloured glass tessera (they look like sweeties) as a free gift, and I may use it for making another coaster.

Curently reading Bernard Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom' which is set in the 9th century, around King Alfred. Cornwell's written in first person, which is right up my street! Perfect stuff for a gal with the blues.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Another book that I can't afford to buy and that will distract me from my writing - I so needed that. ;)

 
At 3:58 am BST, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

Your mosaics sound so interesting. As for socks, I admire you for patience. I tried my hand at knitting (not sure what naalbinding is), but it didn't last for long!

 
At 11:11 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Gabriele - if I thought it wasn't going to be a keeper, I'd offer to send it to you, but I think I'll be referring to it. The action scenes are very well written, so will be a good example for me to follow!

Olga - Can't knit, don't like knitting. But naalbinding, with a one-eyed sewing needle/bodkin makes sense, so I'm patient with it. Might take a photo of my current effort, if it's not too bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home