Tuesday, June 14, 2005

That feeling ...

I'm supposed to do loads of other things, and yet the call is running in my veins. If I let myself start, I will write. What I'd like to do is have another go at writing a short story (so that I don't get consumed by LoTR and therefore never get onto doing some of my non-fiction tasks). Theoretically, a short story would take the edge of my urge to write, whilst being manageable and fitting into present commitments.

But I need a subject. I'm rubbish at finding suitable subjects for the short haul. That's why my first short story didn't go too well. I couldn't work out what it was about, so it didn't have a focus. The fatal flaw. But finding a short story subject is another thing entirely. Yes, of course, it's got to be historical :-)

3 Comments:

At 7:41 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Finding historial subjects for short stories is tricky. I write shorts as well as novels, but the shorts tend to be Fantasy or Horror stuff. Except one, my hist fic shorts are novels in disguise - you need more than 3000 words to tell the story of Arthur and Mordhred. :)

 
At 9:54 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

If you tell me where your Arthur/Medraut story (if it's on the web) I'd love to look at it! In SoD, I call Medraut Moderatus.

Also, if you see the 'Do the right thing' posting above, you'll see that short story word length can be longer than 3000 - if depends whether you have a particular target. Do you enter competitions much? I find them useful for focusing my ideas, rather than actually being competitive.

 
At 2:43 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Well, the Mordhred/Arthur story is called Dangerous Heritage. It's a historical fantasy, and I suppose it is the fantasy element that keeps me from turning this into something longer.

The one historical fiction story I really like is I Was King. It's quite different from my novel writing style, as in fact, are most of my shorts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home