Wednesday, June 15, 2005

... won't go away

I have been considering a short story subject for a while, but let it drop due to not knowing how to approach it. The subject appears in LoTR (after the first 5000 words) and is loosely based on something from Nennius. I was actually thinking about it before I started writing LoTR for the competition.

Now I've got a creative 'itch,' again (can't call it the muse; the scruffy likes of me don't have muses, but we do have itches), and after some mulling this morning, I think I want to write the scene from another point of view. Obviously, in LoTR it's from the Hero's POV, but this short story idea wants to come from the baddie's POV. It'll be a chance for me to further explore the baddie's motivations - he's dissolute, and has done some awful things, but when he meets the Hero, all sorts of things from the past are stirred up; a past that was innocent and hopeful. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

However, as with my earlier short story, it's stemming from the current WIP. Is that a good thing? But, once again, with LoTR, I know far more about the story - why things are happening, motivations, goals, etc. Hmmm ...

1 Comments:

At 2:01 am BST, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

Alex, try your hand at short story. It's fun, quick (you don't have time to get tired of it or disappointed), and from what I've read here in your post, it sounds very promising!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home