Saturday, August 27, 2005

Novelists throw nothing away

In the Guardian, there's a column called 'Paperback writer' and this week Jon Courtenary Grimwood says that Novelists throw nothing away. I think I know what he's on about .... I certainly do use things from my own experience, though I wouldn't say I transplant whole people back to the 5th-6th century. Something useful presents itself, and if it's appropriate, I will use it. It could be an attitude, the way someone speaks, or the way someone re-acts, or a particular sight (and I see some really good, evocative ones being in re-enctment) and I find myself thinking I must use that!

He also mentions music as a mood-enhancer, which harks back to my post of only a few days back.

1 Comments:

At 7:56 pm BST, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

Alex, I loved the post above about Alexander vs Ladder 49. In the movies and books, I like to see real people, with real feeling and problems. And while I like clever plot twists and intelligent dialogues, I don't like it to be too complicated, lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home