Tuesday, August 30, 2005

One of those days

It's been one of those days where it might have been better if I'd stayed in bed until about 3.30pm. I got a big fat zero from anyone I had to communicate with. There was the NHS happily thinking it was fine I've been waiting over 6 months for an MRI scan. Never mind I haven't been able to go out to work since December (though things have got a little better - see below), and when I went to give blood the other week they told me to sling my hook because I was waiting for the MRI and didn't know the results of an attendent blood test. Then there was the re-enactmenr spat ... Really bad news, possibly personality clash there and I don't know what the outcome will be, but it's one step away from bullying and I will walk away if I have to. And then I couldn't get hold of my partner (not his fault).

Anyway by 4pm partner turned up and we went shopping. A nice natter over a tea allayed my fears that my behaviour regarding the re-enactment spat was not unreasonable. Came back to find that a message on the answerphone offering me an interview at a fossil shop in York. It's two days a week and I think I can cope. My foot is performing much better than it was, but I am still waiting for the MRI scan, so it's still a problem. Will the perspective employer be OK with this? I had to give up my previous job due mostly to this problem, but the job entailed catching 4 buses a day, as it was outside York. This job is in the centre of town, and the way my foot is now, it should cope. However, I wouldn't blame the employer is this in unacceptable. Really I need the NHS to pull their finger out here. When I have the MRI scan, then I have to go back to the specialist! So this a long way from being sorted. I need the job so I have some sort of regular income. I can't rely on the freelance archaeology, which is either famine or feast.

I always seem to be in this position, or a variant, so these days I jump to 'I'm really ticked off about this' very quickly. If it didn't keep happening, I wouldn't crawl up the wall so frequently, I assure you.


At 10:09 pm BST, Blogger Stephen said...

Certainly doesn't sound like a great day. Have you considered drinking heavily (it's the new national sport and the Olympics aren't that far away now)? Or else putting on some very loud music - Death Metal, Gregorian Chant, English Country Dance Bands, whatever - and just making the whole world go away for a few hours? Works for me. Sometimes. Not that often actually.

Tomorrow is another day, as somebody, possibly Gildas, once said.

At 11:18 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Stephen - you made me laff, which is extremely kind of you. In honour of my Italian roots, I am drinking Asti Spumante. Will hit that nice bottle of Moniac Mead too if I don't get to Bede's World later this week.

At 8:06 am BST, Blogger Diane said...

Oh, your poor ol' stick. Fancy having to wait so long for your MRI. Mind you, my back healed itself before mine came around. Maybe that's their ploy - keep 'em waiting long enough and it'll get better by itself.

I dragged Hubby off to a re-enactment in Sheffield on Monday. It was really good fun and definitely different.

I hope you have a better day today.

At 11:43 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Diane, I rather think that's the case, though I have to admit my foot's not A1, but it has benefited from a prolonged rest.

Oh! Since I was around last weekend, I was tempted to go into Sheffield to see the re-enctment. We went as MOPS a couple of years back and enjoyed it. There was an amazing all-day show from The Lion Rampant, who kep to their word, fought, sang, gave demonstrations and acted in plays all day long. Fantastic.


Post a Comment

<< Home