Sunday, November 20, 2005

Got the blues? Call for Jeeves

I have trouble being happy. I reckon it's an art, so Victoria Coren's piece on a new magazine called Happy and her reaction to it, definitely strikes a chord with me. Though, perhaps being happy is having the knack to take your mind of your cares. When really down in the dumps, I'll deliberately watch rubbish tv. The soapy or war-like the better. However, when it's done, it's back to the problem in hand. But all things seem to pass, eventually. So, no apologies for the watching or reading the trivial - enjoy it!

1 Comments:

At 8:27 pm GMT, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

I agree with you and Victoria Coren in that doing something pleasing and trivial can chase the blues away for a while. Trivial and pleasing to me usually involves curling up with chocolate (how unoriginal) and a DVD of Bridget Jones's Diary, Shakespeare in Love or Blackadder. If only "I Didn't Know You Cared" was on DVD, (that 1970s comedy series which positively reeked with North-Country lugubriousness), I'd be in clover.

I have a chronic inability to be happy unless everyone around me is happy too, which is pretty unlikely at any given time. For some reason, I feel personally responsible for everybody's well-being. This is absurd, and very possibly self-centred. Or it may be a female thing from way back in the Stone Age, which I sometimes feel old enough to remember.

If anyone does bring out a magazine called "Miserable" (or even better, "Grumpy"), I shall become an instant subscriber. That would be trivial and pleasing.

BTW, I saw Nanny McPhee and, much to my surprise, it cheered me up no end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home