Sunday, June 18, 2006

Not quite the World Cup

Last year I won the local writing group's novel writing competition. Though I got the small cash prize on the night, I didn't see the cup till earlier this year. Finally, I've managed to get my photo taken with it. And I have to say, Batman is not exactly David Bailey, but then the subject is not exactly a supermodel, either ...

Anyway, next week the writing group is having the results of this year's novel writing competition. When I won the competition, the prize hadn't been awarded for two years. It seems it's being awarded annually now. I'm making a point of taking the cup back next week, so that the next winner can have it right away - or at least see it, before it's whipped off to be engraved. I haven't entered, so can just enjoy listening to the adjucation. The judge is John Baker, so presumably people will have entered the first chapters of their crime stories. But perhaps not. Should be interesting.

9 Comments:

At 6:37 pm BST, Blogger Carla said...

Congratulations! It looks a very elegant cup. And it's very sweet of you to take it back right away for the next person.

 
At 8:14 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Compared to the prizes for other categories, yes, I prefer this little cup. Had to buy a special cloth to keep it shiney though!

 
At 12:18 am BST, Blogger Susan Higginbotham said...

Congratulations!

 
At 10:04 am BST, Blogger Diane said...

Blimey, a grown up pic of Alex. Nice to meet you. :o)

 
At 4:51 pm BST, Blogger Martyn said...

That's quite a nice little trophy. I'm beginning to wish I'd got my act together and entered now.

 
At 12:26 pm BST, Blogger Carla said...

There's always next year, Martyn. Does the judge comment on why he picked the winning story? If so, John Baker's comments might give some good pointers for a crime story writer.

 
At 1:10 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Well, they commented last year! But I don't know if people are writing crimes specifically, and if they will have had a go at one because the judge is a crime writer this year. If I'd entered, I certainly would have taken that into consideration. Last year it was a panel, and we had no idea of their background preferences.

 
At 7:26 pm BST, Blogger Martyn said...

I was a bit hesitant about submitting my feeble crime efforts for John to judge because he's so darn good at what he does.

 
At 9:30 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I thought my effort was pretty feeble - and it ended up winning! After that, I've decided my judgement of my own work might be just a little too critical ... Doesn't make a difference though - I still think I could do better. But there comes a time, when the arm must be chanced. Sometimes it won't pay off, but what if it does?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home