Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ballet Russe

Just picked up a programme from City Screen and have found that they are showing the documentary Ballet Russe. This is the sort of thing they should be showing, but I'd virtually given up hope. So I'm glad it's finally on. I like a bit of ballet, and will be going to see the Birmingham Royal Ballet when they're on at the Theatre Royal next month.

There's a short history of the Ballet Russe here. Some of the most famous names in ballet, music and art were associated with this company during the first half of the 20th century. Including: Stravinsky, Nijinsky, Pavlova, Prokofiev, Matisse, Cocteau, and Picasso. And so on. Heady stuff.

City Screen is also showing Vertigo in 70mm. I'm probably going to that as well. It's my very favourite Hitchcock. And that score by Bernard Herrmann is pretty much a perfect match. It's one of those films that I never fail to get drawn into.

3 Comments:

At 7:56 pm BST, Blogger Diane said...

I love the ballet. Is the Bham ballet the one that used to be Sadler Wells or someone?

 
At 4:24 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Diane - yes, I think the BRB were originally at Sadler's Wells, being the 2nd or touring company. I believe they still send some very promising dancers to the BRB for a bit of experience before taking them to Covent Garden.

 
At 4:25 am GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = web site traffic@simply pet supplies.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home