Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Askrigg, North Yorkshire

In the absence of Our York Correspondent, aka Martyn, I guess I will have to step into the breach. My photos aren't as nice as his, but I'll have to do. On Monday Batman and I went on a jaunt to Askrigg in the Yorkshire Dales. The church there, St Oswald's, is medieval in date. The village itself had only a few shops, a couple of pubs, public toilets in the Temperance Hall, and fortunately for me, a tea room. Many of the houses in the village seem to be either B&Bs or Holiday Homes. It's very much farming and walking country up there. Loads of raggedy sheep in the fields. People of all ages in shorts, heavy boots, and often a dog at foot.

The Dales are a tad rocky for this softy southerner. I much prefer the Yorkshire Wolds, where the gently rolling landscape reminds me of the Home Counties, where I was brought up. But it was a lovely day out, with the weather far warmer than we thought it would be.

3 Comments:

At 12:41 pm BST, Blogger Diane said...

And this softy southerner loves the Dales. Before I'd seen them, I'd fallen in love with Exmoor, and I think the Dales are an even bigger version of there.

Don't do yourself down. The picture's good enough.

And perhaps Martyn could come back with just a pictorial blog ...? (We do miss him.)

 
At 11:11 am BST, Blogger Diane said...

Ooh, Alex, just noticed a typo in your banner ...

... and where are you, btw? Hope you're ok. (Or am I not just refreshing properly again?)

 
At 3:25 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Hi Olga, nice to hear from you :-)

Diane: I'd be surprised if there wasn't a typo in my banner ;-)

Am still recovering from being away over the weekend (Friday - Monday). Will blog again soonish. May try to load Broadband software before that - so you may not hear from me for some time, if I have similar trouble to rather too many people I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home