Sunday, August 20, 2006

Bloomin' broadband

It was funny, whilst away last weekend, I heard more tales about people's problems with Broadband. And now I have joined their uncommon ranks.

The actual Broadland software loaded fine, and I was able to get on line relatively quickly. But then I tried to update my browser so that I could run an Internet Security package. And that's where the trouble started. I have a suspicion that IE6 does not like my operating system, which is Windoze (rudely, sic) ME. I did check, and couldn't find anything on the Windoze pages which said ME wasn't compatible with IE6, though IE7 definitely isn't.

So now, I've got a half loaded IE6, which keeps telling me to finish installing, When I do as it tells me, it then says all components are loaded, and then doesn't work. Right, I thought, I'll delete the IE6 software and start again. Great, except that now I'm not allowed to remove any programmes. Or rather use the correct way to uninstall. In the interim, I have downloaded a free package, but it seems to stop Broadband from functioning properly. And so it goes on. Windoze (snore, snore) indeed. Looks like I need to get a techie doctor out to see my wee computer.

On the bright side, I've downloaded Firefox, which makes it easier for me to include photos in Blogger, for example. And I can upload and download files much quicker in general. For example, I can watch this fine example of Brit-humour and chortle. Bloody Hell, says me and the Dalek both :-)

5 Comments:

At 5:25 pm BST, Blogger Stephen said...

We run ADSL Broadband with Windoze ME. We used to do it via an Alcatel ADSL modem before going to wireless networking with a netgear router. For security we use Zone Alarm as a firewall (which may not be strictly necessary with the router but it does no harm) and AVG for antivirus.

We don't use IE on the ME machine, being happy with Firefox as a browser and Thunderbird for e-mail.

 
At 8:21 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I already use AVG for antivirus, and it seems to be very good. Will explore Zone Alarm - many thanks.

I wish I could delete the half-loaded IE6, but it won't let me. I have web-based email, though might look at Thunderbird.

Unfortunately, I paid for the IE6 tied firewall before I realised that's what it needed :-( My connection is also ADSL.

 
At 10:03 pm BST, Blogger wil said...

I've only ever heard horrible things about Windows ME. Good luck!

 
At 10:11 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Oh dear. I didn't choose ME; it came with the computer ...

 
At 9:12 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Devon - that sounds like the norm, rather than the exception! My Broadband isn't particularly fast, but has certainly given my relatively old computer a bit more life; though I'm expecting it to implode at some point soon ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home