Monday, November 27, 2006

Seeing Dr Who anew

There are currently some repeats of Dr Who on BBC4. These are the old ones; the ones I grew up with. Only, I saw them in black and white, for the most part. So watching them, I get a feeling of familiarity, but they seemed different some how. It took me a while to work out that it was the colour differential (duh). I didn't get a colour tv till the early 1980s. The early Dr Whos were not much repeated, so it's great to see them again. The latest repeat is one of Tom Baker's - The Ark in Space, complete with Sarah-Jane and Harry.

The series is part of the Science Fiction Britannia season, the highlight of which, so far, is The Martians and Us which is an exploration of British SF, including the likes of H G Wells, George (1984) Orwell, and John (Triffids) Wyndham. I'm also looking forward to seeing The Cult of ... Star Cops. I remember this short-lived series quite well, so will enjoy a look at its making.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:02 am GMT, Blogger Diane said...

I tend to see the Jon Pertwee ones as the "real" ones. But Tom Baker did an excellent job.

 
At 9:27 am GMT, Blogger Marg said...

Don't you just have to sign in with your Google/Beta Blogger ID to be able to comment. I haven't found too many blogs where I can't comment!

 
At 3:58 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Noooo, Diane, you're wrong. It's the Patrick Troughton ones that are the real ones. Age-related belief, I suspect, though Batman reckons on Jon Pertwee too and he's two years older than me. However, his family didn't get a tv till the 1970s, I think (from oop north, y'know).

Marg, I no longer get the 'bog off this is a non-beta blog' message, so they've obviously resolved the problem. I've been roving the other blogs commenting freely for about a week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home