Thursday, April 07, 2005

Just get on with it ...

Right, today's the main day for revising my 5th century story synopsis and 5000 words for my writing group's competition (closing date 13th April). I'm still worrying that I've hurried things in the 5000 words, though I didn't actually hurry them per se - I just wrote at the pace I normally do! It's not to say I don't concentrate on some passages that I think are particularly important. In the end it doesn't matter, as I am very interested to see where the rest of the story is going to go. Having written 5000 words, with other stories, I have often found my interest wane, but this is from my pattern of years back and perhaps now I've changed in outlook - or I am cannier in my choice of subject matter! Giving myself goals (like entering competitions) seems to be a spur in getting going, which is a good thing.

I can't expect my entry to win anything - there are some fearsomely good writers in the group. There's a clever young man, who writes witty, amazing stuff. Then there are others, a little older, who write excellently told stories. I seem to be the only one writing historical fiction. Oh, it's grim up north :-)

I see Kate Allan is on the front of 'Writing Magazine' for May! I think she's done very well in publicising her books. More power to her elbow!

Gotta go, I hear my last Roman calling ...

2 Comments:

At 2:31 am BST, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

Alex, I tried twice to post, and I hope this time it will go through. Thank you so much for the link, and I have yours on my journal, too! As for the competition, believe in yourself, and I hope you'll win!

 
At 8:11 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Olga,

And thank you for visiting my blog! I do hope you'll keep entering competitions as I'm sure you'll succeed :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home