Friday, June 03, 2005

A little bit of order

This blog is useful for ordering my thoughts; it's the main reason I keep it. I've decided to list the writing I've done (see sidebar) and found it revealing. I started writing again (after a very long break) in December 1999. The aptly-named SoD was the subject and I've evidently learned a lot. SoD was the sacrificial lamb, designed to shield LoTR from the attentions of a beginner. SoD's been through a correspondence course, on the RNA's New Writers' Scheme (though I'm not sure if it's a romance), entered into various competitions, and critiqued to death. It actually remains incomplete. It has also been wildly unsuccessful on all fronts. Same goes for the short story (which was an scene from SoD, though changed quite a bit) But, judging from LoTR's recent win, I have learnt something about how to write.

LoTR, before being in competition, had not been critiqued at all. Besides me, only the judges have seen it (though I guess the writing group have heard some of it too!). Obviously, at some point in writing (end of first draft?), it's worth showing it to people. But at the early chapter stage, I do wonder. I got all sorts of comments with SoD, some of which completely confused me. No criticism of the critiquers intended here; I put my work in front of them to look at. Some of the feedback was extremely acute, the bulk of it well-meaning, some of it ignorant, and one was malign. Perhaps I need to protect my writing till a much later stage in the process.

LoTR was lucky to win first time out, but maybe I should not let it out till I've done. Then again, I got much needed encouragement from LoTR winning; I now have some reason to believe that what I'm doing is worth pursuing. A quandary to be sure.

Unfortunately, I sent LoTR as an entry in the Winchester Writing Conference Novel writing competition, and can guarantee it will be 'lost' in the competition there! Friends have asked to see LoTR, but perhaps I should finish the first draft before letting it out at all.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 am BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

You know, when I read LoTR I always think Lord of the Rings. What does it stand for, really?

 
At 11:03 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Gabriele,

If I wanted to tell people what LoTR stands for, I would say in the sidebar :-) However, if you have read Gildas and also knew who was the lead character in LoTR is (begins with 'A' ...), it's a no-brainer. But seriously, I want to keep it under wraps till the mss is complete.

Yes, it's funny that its abbreviation is LoTR. I didn't realise this until I started drafting it in March this year, and abbreivated it for the computer file! However, it's not the same length as Lord of the Rings.

 
At 11:06 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Howdy,

Thank you very much for your input. I shall put it to good use

 

Post a Comment

<< Home