Friday, November 25, 2005

Data and snow ...

Just finished the major part of data entry for the finds report I'm doing. Unfortunately, I've realised that I won't be able to complete the report by the deadline. Will have to tell the client shortly, and am not looking forward to it. It'll be the first time I've had to do this. I'm pretty sure other report writers will also not stick to the deadline. Deadlines are pretty bogus, as this stuff will get sat on for years - we're archaeologists, and don't have a good perception of time in general! After all, the stuff has been under the earth for hundreds of years, so what's another few years before it gets put in the public domain?

The first ever report I wrote is still languishing in prep, and has been since 1989; I put it in on time, it's just waiting the excavation director to finish the rest of the site report! And I'm sure this will happen with the current report, which is why I'm going to stop doing it, and turn to lecture preparation I sorely need to do for January. The lecturing was booked well before the find report, and it's not as if I can put the lectures off (people have booked to attend!). But that's not really any comfort.

Meanwhile, where is the snow we've been promised? It's certainly cold enough in the Vale of York, but we aint gettin' that's for sure. I'm sort of hoping it will actually snow on my birthday (beginning of December) which would a pretty unusual occurence these days.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 pm GMT, Blogger Stephen said...

Snow? Don't talk to me about snow. It doesn't mix with motorbikes, and that was what I was on when coming home from a book launch last night. Just a light coating of snow was enough to make my back wheel get scarily independent of the road (and the front wheel). I didn't actually crash, but I wobbled a lot.

Have a fun birthday, whatever the weather.

 
At 3:57 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Not being a driver of either car or motorcycle, that's the side-effect of snow that I tend to forget. Take care Stephen, and anyone else on wheels!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home