Friday, December 30, 2005

Bottom drawer

Carla and Gabriele have kindly asked if SoD might be brought out of the bottom drawer. Sadly, the answer is no, for the time being. It's a major mess, especially it being a first attempt at writing a novel. Most of the typical problems are there; in particular I just didn't know what it was about! My ideas evolved as I went along, so that there is no longer a coherent narrative.

It was very much a learning piece, and I bravely let it out for critiquing. It got pretty much savaged, but I learnt a huge amount about who I am prepared to listen to (i.e. people who have the requisite critical skills ...), and what was frankly unhelpful (people who don't understand the history and/or don't have any writing skills of their own). I still love the initial idea, and the lead characters, so am doubtless destined to revisit it at some point - perhaps if/when I ever develop the skills to handle the complex story properly!

Real life has got in the way, and I have other fish to fry before returning to it :-( I'm not a multi-tasker, finding one project at a time difficult enough, and I have to stay focussed on the archaeology right now.

Lucky Gabriele who got Cornwell's The Pale Horseman for Christmas! I'm looking out for the paperback.

And Happy New Year!!!!!

3 Comments:

At 6:29 pm GMT, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

Alex

Happy New Year to you too! Wishing you all the very best with your lectures and archaeology projects, and hope you get back to your novel on schedule. I can't multi-task either, so am in sympathy there!

 
At 10:56 am GMT, Blogger Carla said...

Ah, well. But thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm waiting for the paperback of the Pale Horseman too. I like Bernard Cornwell's books very much, but they are just as good read in 6 months' time for 1/3 the price.

Happy New Year, Alex
Carla

 
At 6:33 pm GMT, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

The Pale Horseman is a paperback - trade market paperback XL size for 20 €. Not that bad, cosnidering The Last Kingdom is 11.50 €. I got Gablé's book in hardcover for 25€, too. Since she writes 800+ page novels, the paperbacks are a bit difficult to read. And I didn't want to wait two more years (it often takes that long in Germany for a paperback release).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home