Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Kunzle's Cakes

Hands up if you remember Kunzle's Cakes! My estimate means you are at least in your 40s (surely?), and British. Every now and then I am reminded of Kunzle's Cakes. Someone mentioned them on Radio 4 the other day, but my thoughts normally stray in the Kunzle direction when I recollect that my father used to be a deliveryman to shops. And he delivered the hallowed cakes.

A quick squizz at the wonderful Web and there's a couple of nostalgic links:

Looks like Kunzles may have been part of Lyons

And here's a blog campaigning to bring the cakes back

Made in Birmingham gives a brief introuduction

Here's a Scottish company which had the rights to sell Kunzle Cakes

Funny enough, I didn't remember that some of them were called Showboats, though as soon as I read it, I recalled the taste quite easily. Very nice and choclatey they were. And, from what I can tell, probably a southern Britain thang, as the dp can't remember them from his harsh northern upbringing - must've been heartlessly cruel, if they didn't have Kunzle's cakes!!!!!

4 Comments:

At 7:17 pm GMT, Blogger Sarah Cuthbertson said...

I too had a harsh northern upbringing and so have never heard of Kunzle's Cakes, let alone tried one. Eccles Cakes, yes, but we could only afford them when there were no trouble at t'mill, lass.

 
At 1:26 pm GMT, Blogger Diane said...

Happy Christmas, Alex, and Merry New Year.

 
At 10:51 am GMT, Blogger Unknown said...

I remember KUNZLE CAKES AND USED TO SELL THE IN A SHOP WHICH i MANAGED IN THE EARLY 60S, THEY JUST SEEMED TO DISAPPEAR, BRING THEM BACK

 
At 10:42 pm BST, Blogger Unknown said...

I can remember getting them from a little shop, they were a tanner (2.5p)each but the best tanner spent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home