Monday, December 05, 2005

Peter and the Wolf

I'm kicking myself! Somehow I managed to miss a programme on radio about Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf. Well, I heard the last ten minutes, and it ended with the statement Clever man, that Prokofiev - not half! His Peter and the Wolf was written to introduce children to the orchestra. It really does serve as a primer for understanding the language of classical music. For me, the main thing is that all of Prokofiev's signatures are there - the way he uses the instruments, the lyricism, the sharpness, the wit. Divine. It was written in the 1930s, which was (for me) his golden period. During this time he produced my favourites: Romeo & Juliet and Alexander Nevsky. But, to be honest, virtually anything by him catches me. Unfortunately, his music is so distracting, that I can't use it to write to!

Anyway, no need to beat myself up about missing the Peter and the Wolf programme - it's on the Beeb's Listen Again facility here!

1 Comments:

At 8:39 pm BST, Blogger Unknown said...

Peter and the Wolf really is one the greatest works for narrator and orchestra and teaches children (and adults!) about the different instruments in the orchestra.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home