Friday, January 27, 2006

Knackered

Another Tuesday, another lecture. Went well this time as the (very) dear partner had to attend. He was being Mr Shifter again - carrying lots of artefacts for me. He was also able to check what I did with the projector. Needless to say it all went well. Let's hope it does the same next week ...

I'm onto sorting out the next week's lecture now. It really is time consuming; the actual lecture's the relatively easy part. It's getting it altogether beforehand that's the problem. And, insult to injury, I've just got an email asking for titles for next year's lectures :-) The deadline for doing this is February 24th, which is just as well as it gives me time to get a little distance from this course, which finishes on the 14th. Then I might be able to decide if I really want to go through it all again. I wouldn't mind if I could repeat the same course, but I think it'll need to be a new one ... I'm thinking of doing a course covering the 5th-6th century; we have a lot of slides covering this era, so it might be worth using them. Not to mention the re-enactment gear I could take along. Hmm ...

Still, the blurb-writing is good practise. I had to write one for last year's brochure. It concentrates the mind somewhat. And yes, for the 5th-6th century course 'King Arthur' will be mentioned, which should draw the eye. Though I'll be careful to emphasise that there'll be a lot of archaeology and not too much in the way of the KA myth & legend.

4 Comments:

At 7:19 pm GMT, Blogger wil said...

KA myth & legend? No, no, no! Stick with the facts, with material objects...for instance, KA's grave at Glastonbury or the Round Table at Winchester. :-)

 
At 11:13 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Unfortunately, KA has to be addressed at some point in the course, otherwise it'll be an 'elephant in the room' situation!

 
At 11:58 am GMT, Blogger Carla said...

People may well be surprised, and perhaps quite interested, to find out how little is actually known. How do you think you'll do it - start with what is known about King Arthur (i.e., essentially nothing) and then go on to use the archaeology to show the context in which he would have lived (if he existed)?

 
At 5:29 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I'm not intending to build the course around KA at all. It'll be a lot of archaeology (starting the 4th century), Gildas *won't* be dismissed out of hand, the Anglo-Saxons *will* get more than the crumbs from the table, and I'll be suitably dubious about Nennius. That's if I decide to go ahead with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home