Monday, March 13, 2006

Going postal (grrrr)

OK. It was fine that the new issue of the Historical Novels Review delivered to an HNS member in Nottingham by Wednesday last week. However, my patience was stretched by Saturday when it still hadn't turned up at my home in Yorkshire. And then this morning (Monday), I see from the HNS discussion list that someone already has her copy in ... Australia.

Thanks, ever so, for your great service over the years, Royal Fail and Parcel Farce. I only live around the corner from the sorting office, but it might as well be a million miles. They're always pulling the 'sorry we called when you were out' stunt (aka 'we waited till you were out') wouldn't mind but I'm at home virtually all the time at the moment. There's been a couple of incidences of post going through the wrong door of late. If the Review went through my neighbour's door, I won't be getting it any time soon, as he's died and the house is currently empty.

I may wait till the afternoon, and if it doesn't arrive by then, I will have to be troubling the HNS to despatch another copy. I am not a happy bunny.

Yours, in sure and certain knowledge ...

3 Comments:

At 10:49 pm GMT, Blogger Sarah Johnson said...

I'm usually the last to get my copy (the Pony Express, better known as our rural mail carrier, operates out this way) but mine arrived this afternoon. I know a few other Americans and Canadians who have theirs, but I also know a few UK members who don't. You're not the only one. It's all very mysterious, but that's the postal system for you. Here's hoping your copy arrives soon.

 
At 8:27 am GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

You're joking! Rural mail carrier? I normally get my HNR pretty smartly, along with other people reporting they have theirs, so surely something is going on this time? Though it would be the first time in several years.

The nice lady at the HNS says she's going to send me an extra copy, so I hope the original doesn't arrive today (Tuesday) ... Nah, it's snowing, they won't bother to go out, even if they do have the HNR!

 
At 11:24 am GMT, Blogger Sarah Johnson said...

No joke, I live a few miles out of town in the middle of the rural Midwest. The mail carrier (who drives a beat-up pickup truck with a "US Mail" sign taped to the back window) is a part-time contractor. Stuff gets here eventually, though it's not exactly fast. Glad to hear they're sending you another!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home