Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Workmen

The dp had a run-in with a gas engineer today. The latter said he would turn up by 9.30am. Nope, at 10.15 the dp had to go out, so he rang the workman:

Gas Engineer: 'I'll be there in a few minutes'
The dp: 'I've got to go out now. I'll call you later'

End of story :-) Met his match there, did the Engineer. What was the workman's problem? He initially said he'd be there at 9am as it was. Was he unable to pick up his phone and make a call saying he would be late? Being late is understandable, it's the not being kept informed that's the hassle.

We've all been there of course (in the UK at any rate). Taking precious time off work for some chap (sic) to come and do something on the house. And then they muck you around. They make it unnecessarily stressful. I had my fill of it when we first moved into this house. I was in between contracts so it was me who managed the whole thing - plumbers, gasmen, painters, etc. They drove me bonkers. 'Ello luv' they'd say without a murmur of apology as they arrived hours late ...

2 Comments:

At 5:54 pm GMT, Blogger wil said...

My wife and I have the opposite problem - workmen always seem to arrive early! Fairly often, 30-60 minutes before a scheduled arrival, we get a call..."we're running ahead of schedule, see you in 5 minutes." So then we scramble around cleaning up messes or scarfing down lunch to accommodate the early-birds.

 
At 8:17 pm GMT, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

You lucky beggars! You don't live in the UK do you Wil :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home