Saturday, May 13, 2006

Flood chaos

Today's local Press reports on yesterday's heavy downpour. I know all about it, as I was out in it. Though showers, and perhaps thunder, had been forecast, it was lovely and sunny. So I went without my umbrella (well forgot, it actually), and even left my hoody with the dp whom I met for lunch. On the way back, as I walked over Lendal Bridge, it began to rain, then it poured. Then it hailed - yes hailed. I was caught in the open, along with many other unprepared people. I tried sheltering under the narrow arch through the walls. It wasn't too good, especially as several other drowned rats had beat me to it. When the hail abated a little I dashed for the bus shelter opposite the War Memorial Park. More hailstones, and I was there for 20 minutes or so.

Finally the rain stopped and I made for the Marble Arch tunnel, which leads to the Railway Musuem, and the Cinder Path to get back home. Bad mistake. The Marble Arch was flooded at both ends. But I waded through. The water an icky grey. I did my bit for York tourism and advised a couple of tourists to get out via the newish station back entrance. 'Phew,' I thought as I started to trot down the Cinder Path. The sun was starting to come back out, and things didn't seem so bad. Then I rounded the corner and found that the path was flooded. I waded through that too. The thing is, I had just bought a brand new pair of sandals and had changed into them straightaway as my feet were hot in my 'interview' shoes. They are the only decent shoes I've got that are OK for my bad foot; I was going to try sandals on, so didn't want to offend with my smelly trainers. The new sandals rubbed the skin off my heels, and I only hope I haven't caught anything from soupy water I trotted through. When I got home I stripped off quickly, throwing the clothes straight into the machine, then I showered, washing the bloody heels carefully.

I'm now trying to to dry the sandals out, but am very glad I wasn't wearing my decent 'interview' shoes which may well have been ruined by the water foray. I will need them on Tuesday. Yes, I have an interview for an actual job. It's at a rare book place, and looks very interesting. A couple of days back, I only saw the advert in the shop window, as I happened to be visiting someone in an area of the city I don't often go to now. So fingers crossed :-)

6 Comments:

At 4:12 pm BST, Blogger Martyn said...

We got caught in it as well. We sheltered under the footbridge just down from Rowntree Park by the river until it passed. It's was quite spectacular.

Good luck with the interview on Tuesday :-)

 
At 5:12 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Thank you Martyn.

The downpour was spectacular. The hailstones covered the grass so that it looked like it had snowed; wish I'd had my camera on me.

 
At 9:12 am BST, Blogger Stephen said...

Good luck with the interview.

I must come up and visit York soon - it sounds as if much has changed in the 22 years since I lived there.

 
At 10:56 am BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Thanks, Stephen. I'll be on my best behaviour. Don't know if it'll work though ;-)

York's changed a lot since we moved here in 1987. And yet, of course, certain features remain ...

 
At 11:41 am BST, Blogger Diane said...

Wow. We only got drizzle all day yesterday. And when we drove northwards to Co Durham at teatime, it got brighter the further we travelled.

 
At 3:05 pm BST, Blogger Carla said...

Best of luck with the interview. I'll be thinking of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home