Monday, September 25, 2006

A couple of fun-packed days :-)

A few weeks back I volunteered to help out with an event at the small museum, and am glad I did. It's good to get out of the house, and I always find the museum and its goings-on interesting. The event ran this Saturday, so it took up most of the day, with two friends and their kids also popping in, as well as Batman. In the evening we went to a lecture on medieval hunting. The author Richard Almond showed us some slides of hunting from medieval documents and it was fascinating to hear about the different types of dogs and hunters around then. It was a long day for me and the foot (from 9.30am to 9pm) and the only side-effect was being very tired.

On Sunday we were in town doing a bit of much-needed clothes shopping. Every now and then me & Batman actually realise we need new clothes so actually go and buy some. Since we're dirt-loving archaeologists, I suspect we can easily look scruffy, as our casual clothes tend to be one-step from being consigned to site/digging-wear. But for a while the new trousers will look just dandy.

There was also a large market in Parliament Street, so we picked up some yummy fudge and I bought some venison and wild boar gluten-free sausages (for my consumption only as Batman is vegetarian). We met our friends again for a coffee and a final natter before they left, and then it was time to stagger home. Hardly a peep out of my foot, though I've got used to giving it frequent massages so hardly notice doing it now. I'm very pleased with the foot's performance, particularly as I've worked hard to get it more robust and it's obviously paying off.

6 Comments:

At 10:58 am BST, Blogger Carla said...

That sounds an interesting lecture and the book looks fascinating. Have you read it? What time period does he cover?

Glad to hear that your foot seems to be mending.

 
At 12:34 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

I haven't read the book, though I could take a look as the Small Museum stocks it :-) But judging from the lecture, it probably covers 'proper' medieval, i.e. 12th-16th, and not what is sometimes called 'early medieval' Will check though and report back

 
At 3:09 pm BST, Blogger Carla said...

Thanks, that would be great if it's not too much trouble. Am concerned about the blurb's reference to medieval people's "almost atavistic sense of oneness with nature" and the comments about a perspective on the current media debate on hunting and modern land use. If it's a scholarly book on hunting I might well be interested; if it's a polemic using history to make a modern point, I'm probably not.

 
At 6:23 pm BST, Blogger Carla said...

PS, our county library has a copy of the book (hurrah for online catalogues), so you don't need to report back if you don't want to. I'll still be interested in your opinion, though.

 
At 9:23 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Carla - It's a medieval academic exploration, I'm pretty sure, so will be worth getting from the library.

 
At 7:18 pm BST, Blogger wil said...

The book does sound interesting...as well as the venison & wild boar sausage. Mmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home