Friday, September 29, 2006

Aches and pains

Urgh. I think this bug counts as flu. Have had aching joints, fever, sore throat, coughing and now generally feel knocked out. Didn't get to go into the Small Museum, as I felt worse yesterday than I did the day before :-( Have dosed up to the eyeballs with vitamin C and zinc. Hadn't restocked on echincea (sp?) otherwise I would have that as well. Am making myself eat, though am more interested in liquids. There's a small bottle of Asti Spumante in the fridge that has my name on it ...

On Tuesday, a friendly archaeological unit delivered a horrible bag of icky stuff for me to look at. I said I'd comment by Wednesday (oops). Better see if I can peer at it today and come up with something appropriate to say, other than 'yuck' Yes, some categories of finds bring out antipathy in finds people as well as site staff.

7 Comments:

At 1:52 pm BST, Blogger Susan Higginbotham said...

Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 2:19 pm BST, Blogger Martyn said...

Hope you feel better soon. A really bad cold or flu is always really nasty. I always hallucinate and have lots of weird psychedelic dreams every time I get one :-0

They seem to be doing the rounds at the minute. Lots of people round here seem to be suffering.

BTW - just reading The Lost Luggage Porter by Andrew Martin. It's an Edwardian detective story with a bit of a railway theme set in York. Our bit of the city gets a few mentions with it's railway links. It feels quite authentic. I need to get back to proper blogging so I can I tell people about this kind of stuff again :-)

 
At 3:40 pm BST, Blogger Carla said...

Get well soon, Alex.

Am now wondering what particular category of finds elicits a reaction of 'yuck'. I first thought of environmental archaeology samples, like analysing the beetle fragments in the fill of a sewer to work out whether it was a storm drain or a foul drain (!), but that's not your line of work, is it?

 
At 5:40 pm BST, Blogger Alex Bordessa said...

Thanks guys. I think the aches and pains have stopped now, and mostly I'm just tired and coughing stuff up. Hallucinations would be exotic but don't seem to be my line.

Will chase the Lost Luggage book, Martyn , as it sounds v. intriguing.

Carla - the stuff they've given me is a bit outside my normal remit. The stuff is mortar - yuck; can't help *saying that* :-) It's just uninspiring at this stage, unless it goes onto be analysed grain-by-grain and then it gets intriguing. But it's rarely worth going that far, unless minutely trying to work out phases for buildings. At the mo' they just want my opinion as to if it's Roman. Don't beetles sound much more interesting and, heck, glamorous? I work in the fag end of archaeological studies, so perhaps it's not surprising I get so much grief from my colleagues; just occasionally, even *I* wonder if it's worth doing ;-)

 
At 6:54 pm BST, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Get better soon and here's hope the yuck stuff proves to be interesting on closer look.

 
At 7:36 pm BST, Blogger wil said...

Hope you get well soon.

I know vitamin-C, zinc, and echinacea are all supposed to be good for a cold/flu. Didn't know about Asti till now. ;-)

 
At 3:36 pm BST, Blogger Carla said...

I'll probably regret asking this, but how do you tell if mortar is Roman or not?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home